Wednesday, May 26, 2010
Dancing With the Stars in the Classroom?
Ok...Lit Maven...are you joking? Where would we find the dancefloor? Would we have to use local celebrities? Could we fly the dancers in?
No...not literally of course.
Dancing with the Stars is successful for a number of reasons. But when you look at the dancing development of the stars...it's amazing! even Kate...
An eager to learn star is paired with an expert (mentor). Both of the partners put in long hours for a 5 minute presentation. It works because:
1. The mentor is passionate about what they do.
2. The mentor is aware of ZPD and knows that they have to meet the learner where they are at, to bring them up.
3. The learning is supported by a predicatable framework (Tango, Mamba...etc)
4. There is a gradual release of responsibility to the learner.
5. There is a sense of audience for the final product.
Lit Maven, you amaze me...
Thank you...but there is more.
This is how I apply this concept to my blog writiing.
1. Seek out blog mentors. My favorites are Chris Brogan, Seth Godin and ThoughtWrestling. I chose these for their content and process.
2. Seek out books on writing. My favorite authors are Brenda Ueland, Ralph Fletcher, and Donald H. Graves.
3. Read books written in the style you hope to emmulate. My current favorites are Son of the Mob by Gordon Korman and The Absolute True Diary of a Part Time Indian by Sherman Alexie.
4. WRITE EVERYDAY! Those dancers...even Kate...practiced everyday. You can't wish yourself a better writer, you have to write...shocker! I know!
5. Support each other. You are a mentor and teacher throughout your whole life...embrace it!
Until Next time...
Lit Maven Out!
I came across this phrase yesterday..."half the battle". Here are some definitions of Half the Battle. 1. to be the most ...
Post #2-The Lit Maven Presents: Everything I Know I Learned in Kindergarten, But Video Sharing Back Then Was a Flip Book.Jan 25 th , 2010 . Just opened the trail fire, seared my eyeballs, and went to bed. The high of posting on photo sharing was followed closel...
How to create a mash up circa 1996? (True story. Friday night. No Money.) Rent the VHS version of The Wizard of Oz …please stay with m...
This is me after an intense month of twitter. Enough said . Tweet, Tweet, Twiddle, Twiddle (Learning the Tool) Captain's Log: Feb...